Monday, 11 June 2012

I just wanna live!!

This post is a little different than my usual posts which are mainly reviews, but it has come about as I promised myself I would give a little bit more of myself to those of you who take the time out of your day to have a wee read.

If you don't know much about me you wont know that I have moved to London from Ireland last august in pursuit of a career in the sports disability industry.

As someone who has done quiet a bit of travelling since leaving college (uni to all you UK readers) I thought I would be able to take the bull (London) by the horns so to speak. I was so excited, literally couldn't wait to hand in my notice and book a one way ticket to Luton!!!

I've been here 10 months now, and it has not been the picnic I have imagined.
'East London is a vampire, it sucks the blood right out of you' - these Bloc Party lyrics come to mind!

I was so so lucky to have family over here who kindly allowed me to stay with them until I got myself sorted, and until my BF followed me over. Not only did they let me live with them but they gave me a job!

I didn't realise how big London was until I started exploring at weekends. I had imagined it to be a colder version of Sydney, this couldn't be further from the truth. London has the capability to eat you right up, esp if you are on your own over here.

My BF followed me over in Nov, but up until then I was essentially alone and my oh my did I cry nearly every night on the phone to him, there were times I felt like packing my bag and going to home.
Even after him moving over i still didn't seem to be living the London lifestyle I so longed for. The reason being MONEY or lack of it in our case.
London rent is ASTRONOMICAL, London wages are average, living in London is EXPENSIVE.
We were barely breaking even, and I'm pretty sure that I can count on one hand the number of times we have gone out.

We have had to move out of our lovely one bed apt and move in to a share house. Money is finally starting to free itself up as I have secured a job where my wages have almost doubled. The last couple of weeks things have started to get brighter, we haven't been counting every penny etc, and have been able to start enjoying London a wee bit more.

Its been hard though. When I was in both Alaska and Australia I never longed to be at home with my friends like I have over here. I find myself so jealous and sad that my friends are at home going out hanging around etc. My best friend is planning her wedding and I get sad that I'm not there looking at all the little details.
I miss them so much, and this is mainly due to the fact that I have made zero friends over here. I'm not looking for sympathy vote, I simply want to share with y'all. London is so huge I wouldn't even know how to go about starting to make friends. If himself wasn't here I would have given up I'd say and be long gone.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - this is sometimes easier said than done, but when I get really down I have a little chat to myself and look at the positive things in my life.

In my new job I am meeting some lovely people, and finally making some friends. I enjoy going to work everyday and having the craic with my colleagues.
I'm looking forward to a summer, especially now that I'm working as part of Olympics, and I'm optimistic about the doors this may open career wise.
This job is giving me the opportunity to start living a bit in London. We have a list of things we want to do (all the touristy things) & I'm excited about enjoying my last couple of months in London!

Myself and himself are doing great for two people who have essentially just stared at each other every weekend in a sitting room since November. We have had our ups and downs like any couple but I can truly say he has been my saving grace especially on those nights I've been hysterically crying longing for Ireland.

London and I have not jelled. After my contract is up with London 2012 we are looking at at move to a smaller city up north where we can live a bit more, make friends and pay a lot less in rent.

"I just wanna live"

P.S the intention of this post is not to put anyone off London, or off moving to London. London is a great city and if you have a decent paying job, love city life, and have a circle of friends it really could be an amzing place to live!
Who knows after summer my tune may have changed and I may have fallen deeply in love with this city!

7 comments:

  1. Oh lord Hun, I got all testy eyed. I felt a bit like that when I moved from the midlands to Dublin years ago. You're very brave, keep your chin up Hun :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg so sorry it took me so long to reply, i thought i had, thanks so much and sorry i made u squinge a bit x

      Delete
  2. I have so much admiration for the adventure you've set yourself on Co :) I agree, you are very brave! You're also lovely and I can tell that it won't be long till you make some more friends here in LDN!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning to move over pretty soon, it's a daunting thought. Ths realistic and ni frills account is a stunning piece of frank, honest siting. So admirable. I hope you find happiness very soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, I hope I didn't put you off at all, it can be the most amazing city too if you find your place here which a lot of people do xx

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts!!!