Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Proud of where I'm from!

I've been contemplating this post for quiet a while now, and the main reason it has come about is from a comment (apparently joke) I received a couple of weeks back, and then reading a post tonight that my lovely friend Orla has written (jaysus us London Irish must be on the same wavelenght) on The Importance of Being Irish gave me the kick up the arse to go ahead and write what I felt! 

The joke/comment went like this:
"why is the grass so green in ireland" << I was expecting something to do with leprechauns as the answer, "cause your all over here treading on ours" << was the end of that joke...

I thought Americans were the only ones who clung to their Irish heritage like there was no tomorrow, but since moving to London I have learned the term 'Plastic Paddy' this essentially is someone whos parents or grandparents are Irish, and therefore are extremely proud of their Irish heritage. People in the UK have a great attitude to Irish people (with the exception of Mr Green fingers above). They have a bit of craic with us, take the piss out of our accents asking for subtitles, assume we can all do the riverdance, and some may actually believe we have leprechauns living in our gardens!! I even got sent shamrocks in work by an Irish building company on Paddys day, who also send out all their company merchandise with Céad Míle Fáilte on it!!!

For anyone who has been to Oz, you will know what I'm talking about when I say the 33rd county, for those of you that haven't been, head to Bondi Beach and I can guarantee you will bump in to someone you know. The atmnosphere us Irish can create together in a forgein land is a force to be reckoned with which was more recently seen at the Euros in Poland.

Even in Thailand where I assumed they would never of heard of Ireland, they chased my pale skinned, pink haired body around screaming things like 'ah nice pale irish girl'. Flipping hilarious. The same in Alaska, the paddys day celebrations we had over there were unreal, they even had a trad band in the boozer.

I think wherever you go in the world, no matter how far north or south you will find an irish bar, and you will end up having a chat with someone from home!!

I walked in to my new local park the other day and stumbled upon a GAA team training. I literally stopped in my tracks and just watched. The joy and the familiarty that filled my heart was undescribeable. I never thought watching a bit of GAA training would make me so homesick but it did. I even went over for a chat with the coaches to find out who they were etc, which has resulted in them hounding the BF to go kick a ball around with them!!

No matter where I am in the world, and no matter how much money, or how many friends I have, there really is no place like home. Home is where my best memories are, my family, my friends, my local, the GAA, and most importantly the woofy Jess!!

I know you may now be wondering why I am not at home if I have such a longing to be... One word - RECESSION. I can't at present achieve the career I am looking for in Ireland. I also have quiet itchy feet, I like to travel and explore different countries, but no matter how long I have been away, Ireland will always be home and it will be the place that I will settle down, and raise my kids when ever that time comes. As my lovely da says 'Níl aon tin tán mar do tin tán fein' - theres no fire like your own fire

I'm afraid that I have gone off the long winding path here, so I'll try pull it back to the initial comment/joke that started this off. If you thought you were being funny with that comment you weren't. Take a look around your city, London is one of the most multicultural cities in the world, and thats why it is thriving, so basically take your patriotic shite and fuck right off!! I am working in this country, paying taxes like everybody else, I have as much a right to be here as anyone so let the grass in Ireland grow long and green while the HUGE Irish community in London does riverdance all over your grass!!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post! :) I'd have kicked that person up the arse if they'd said something like that to me! Grr! :)Eire Abu! x

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!!!