Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Teenage skin at 26....

I've been having skin issues for the last year or so, particularly bad on my back and shoulders which really gets me down, at least you can cover up your face with make up, but having to buy particular styles of clothes due to not wanting people to see my poor red skin, well frankly its not doing anything for my body confidence.

I had the usual acne problems associated with being a teenager back in the day, but that all cleared up there a few years back and i thought yay finally spot, apart from the odd one at that time of the month! I decided to get the contraceptive bar in my arm about a year and a half ago, and without going in to it in detail it sent my body haywire. One of the shittiest side effects being acne, out of control acne, big red sore horrible covering my back and shoulders acne (you getting the picture)!!!

Needless to say I got it taken out only a few months after it was in but since then, it hasn't disappeared. It was really upsetting me, and I went to the doc to find out what to do. She prescribed me some anti-bacterial meds and a cream to put on them. It cost me approx €130 for 3 months of tablets, but after seeing zero results from the cream and tablets, and them making me feel sick I gave up on them, with the thinking that stop putting shit in to my body and it might clear up on its own.

I tried, on the advice of a lovely pharmacist, was La Roche Posay Effeclar. She gave me the samples instead of forking out on things that may not agree with me. This, she told me, was what some dermatologists were recommending to people with acne prone skin instead of taking meds all the time. I was so flipping excited, but not so excited a week later when my skin was in ribbons. It was in a worse state than ever, and I felt like I was after having a chemical peel or something, extremely dry, itchy, sore, just general yukiness. Thank god I didn't but the whole lot.

Moved on to Vichy Normaderm then a while after cause I had seen roaring reviews all over the blogging world. You can read my full review here but to give you the lowdown it made zero difference to my skin.

Here I am nearly 8 months, no tablets, creams etc and I'M NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. Still feeling like shit with the condition of my skin. As I said above my face I can cover up with foundation, but I really don't want to have to do this, I want to get to the bottom of it, and fix it!!

I found myself staring at all the skincare in Boots for ages yesterday, and nearly bought Effeclar cause I was desperate for something to work. I left the shop with nothing but wandered in to The Body Shop thinking au natural was possibly the way to go! (I don't want this post to be a million pages long so I have done a separate post on what I picked up in there here. )

As for the bacne issue, (that word makes me feel a little bit sick in my mouth), I'm gonna go back to the doctor and see what she can do for me, if it means trying different tabs I am willing to try that at this stage. I don't want to feel like this next summer and I am determined to get rid of it forever.

If you have had the same issue and have found a magical solution please please please share the wealth. Or if you have any advice in general please let me know. I'm really interested in trying herbal methods but I've no idea where to even start.

Lets hope the next time I update this, I will prancing around in backless dresses with no make up on!! :)

Có xx



1 comment:

  1. Hey Có,
    I am in my 30s, and al of a sardine my skin decided to throw a hissy fit. I went to my doc and she prescribed Yasmin (the contraceptive) it did help a bit, but I just got Duac gel to help with the stubborn areas so I hope it helps. Love the sound of The Body Shop stuff, I must go in and have a chat with the girls again. Good Luck Doll, and if something isn't working, get a 2nd Opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!!!