Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Vegetarian balti... Om nom nom



I’ve found myself becoming bored with food recently and in an effort to regain my appetite I’ve decided that at least once a week I’m going to try a new recipe. I won’t necessarily be something completely new, but may be a different type/style of dish than I would make myself.

Instead of just keeping a handwritten cookbook I though I would share with you all here what I’ve been making!!

Also FYI none of these recipes stemmed from my own brain, I’ve spotted them somewhere along the line wither through a magazine, pinterest, twitter etc. I will always try and credit the brains behind the operation where I can!!!

P.S I’m not good with pounds and ounces etc so I’ll tell you exactly how I see the ingredients in my mind!!

So let’s start off with week 1, here’s what I had an attempt at last Friday night: 
Vegetarian Balti
Didn’t really have a clue what this was but it looked delish in the picture so gave it a go after spotting it in Woman’s Way (I didn’t buy it, was in the canteen)!!

What you will need:

  • 1/2 x butternut squash
  • 1/2 x cauliflower
  • 2 x sweet potatoes
  • 2 x onions
  • 1 x can of chicpeas (400g)
  • 1 x can of chopped tomatoes (400g)
  • 2 x tablespoons balti paste
  • 200ml x water (a little less if you would like a really thick meal)
  • Large sauce pan
  • Wooden/Plastic spoon


Before you start:
 
Chop all of the veggies up, I left the onions pretty big as I like them chunky, but with the butternut squash and sweet potatoes I chopped them bit size so that they would cook quicker. Chop the cauliflower into florets.




Get started:

  • In a large sauce pan heat one tablespoon of oil (this doesn’t need to be exact) and fry up the onions until they are soft and brown.
  • Add one table spoon of balti paste, ensuring the pot isn’t too hot to stir fry in.
  • Add 200ml of water and mix in well
  • Add another table spoon of balti paste, the can of tomatoes, all the vegetables, and the can of chickpeas (ensure they are strained).
  • Mix all of this together.
  • Bring the heat down to a gentle simmer and leave to cook for approximately 40 mins. You can vary this time depending on how crunchy/soft you like the veg.


Serving Suggestions:

I had mine on its own in a bowl the first night, but the next day with the left over’s I added some boiled rice and it was fab. Some garlic naan would also go down a treat!!
If you’re a big meat eater there is no reason you can add some chicken/beef to this recipe.
(sorry I don’t have a photo of it, was too busy stuffing my fave) will upload the next time I make it.
 
Bon appetite!!!

Let me know if you try and like or hate!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!!!