Thursday, 17 January 2013

Try something new in 2013!


I heard on the radio earlier that today is the day that most people ditch their new years resolutions. BOOOO!!!!

Although it wasn’t one of my new years resolutions, I thought that trying something ‘new’ may have been one of yours therefore I have come up with some suggestions.

Join a dance class:
Dancing in the community games variety shows was one of my favourite things when I was smaller, and when I joined a dance class before I went to London I equally enjoyed it as much. This is an activity you can do alone, and it can be reasonably inexpensive. There are various different types of dance you can try; African, tap, salsa, modern, hip-hop, Irish dancing. I personally love a bit of tapping, I’m not great now but it is loads of fun!!!

sourced: http://showproductioninstitute.blogspot.ie
See a musical:
I flipping love a good old musical, however I have only been twice in my adult lifetime, and both times was to see the same show ‘Wicked’. I nearly fell off my chair yesterday when I heard Bord Gáis Theatre was running it later this year. CAN NOT WAIT!!! There are a variety of other shows on up there such as Hairspray, 9 to 5 and The Lion King (a wimbua a wimbua...in the jungle). If you haven’t been to a musical before, I would definitely recommend going to one and experiencing in real life what all the fuss is about. Check out the Bord Gáis website for all the listings.

sourced: tickets-4.co.uk

Join a sports team:
Something I like to think I have quiet a lot of are friends, however with my immediate circle either having babies, travelling, working at weekends I sometimes find myself at a loss, so I’ve been trying to think what I can do to keep myself active/busy and make new friends all at the same time. Join a team, or re-join a team. I’m sure many of you played some GAA back in the day, so why not look at getting back in with your old team, or if you fancy sticking to the ‘new’ part try something else in your area such as hockey, netball, basketball, tag rugby, or rugby. I think joining a new team as an adult isn’t half as daunting as when your a smallie, and adults teams are usually crying out for new members. A good way to find new teams is to contact your local sports partnership who should have contact info.

sourced: http://standrews.schoolpartnership.org
Holiday at home:
I constantly have itchy feet, but this year I have decided that my itchy feet will take me to places that I have never seen/been to. I am the first one to tell people from foreign lands about how wonderful Ireland is, however I haven’t been around half of the country. I’m sure for a lot of you this is not a ‘new’ thing, and if that’s the case please throw your suggestions at me!!! For those of you who are like me I can only suggest to you get in a car without a strict plan and head off!! My first destination will be Lahinch, Co. Clare some weekend in March. I’ve heard numerous things about the place so its time to try it for myself! Other places on my list are cork, Donegal, Kerry, and the lovely Galway. I find Fáilte and Discover Ireland's sites pretty good too if your looking for things to do etc! P.S keep a travel diary, you will have loads of fun reading back on it in years to come with your kids/grandkids, but remember keep it clean ;)

source: tripadvisor.com

Take up a course:
This is something that is constantly in the back of my head, but I never seem to have the money to do it, but this year it is on my priority list. I’m in the process of picking a course at the moment, and working out money wise what i can afford etc! You could chose to do something as a hobby like dress making, knitting, drawing, cooking, music lessons, or something more academic like learning a language, ecdl, sign language. Your local VEC website is pretty good for looking up courses and a lot of the time they are run in schools etc at night. On the other extreme you might look in to doing a masters, or even go as far as choosing a whole new degree. If you are thinking new degree, get your CAO application in pronto they close early Feb (as far as i can remember)!!!

source: wizardofdraws.com

Explore your taste buds:
This is something I started at the end of last year, its slowly becoming a tradition in my Mam’s house that on a Friday we (and by we I mean me) cook something new, and from scratch where possible!! I have been posting a few recipes we have tried, but I do have a few more to stick up.  Getting ideas is soooo easy, pinterest is the source for almost all the stuff we have tried, it truly does inspire!! If you are scratching your head not knowing what pinterest is, get yourself over to the website and have a nose. Its essentially a giant pinboard, categorised, and when you click on a picture it generally links you to another web page for full details/recipes/instructions etc. There are also amazing food bloggers out there, you could spend hours looking at mouth watering treats. A few of the ones I follow are on my reading list if you want a nose.

source: 123rf.com

I hope I have inspired at least on of you reading this, and as always I would love to hear your feedback and suggestions!

Có x

5 comments:

  1. Let me know if you swing by Lahinch, I live 10 mins away and it's my local spot on nights out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow i knew you were close to the sea alright, i sure will :)

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts!!!