Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Is Ireland really getting smarter?


Today’s post is a little different, looking at smart phone ‘habits’ in Ireland, and I feel it relates well to my post Click, Flash, Post, Check in - Having the time of your life!

It must be said that since getting my first 'smart phone' last year I have become totally dependent on it, like totally. I do not know how I used to navigate my way around new cities without a sat nav to hand, how did I find out bus times, how did I do bank transfers, how did I stalk browse on facebook, did i even know what tweeting was, how did I organise anything without whats app groups, WAS I LIVING IN A HOLE!!!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/girl-confused-14255109.jpg


Well I am glad to see I am not the only one who has been caught up by the curse of the smart phone, as a survey carried out by Three has shown that over half the population of this wee country owns one with the ownership increasing a mahoosive 53% in just one year. We as a nation are now spending more time online than ever, which can probably attributed to half of us having it on hand with our smartphones.


I am currently in the market for a new phone after a series of dropping incidents over the past year (sorry HTC), but I'm not sure what phone to go for. I’d like to think I could 'survive' without a smart phone, but I suppose even using the word survive suggests that I wouldn't be able to!  

 http://kevinspear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Spear_3675.jpg

We all know individually how much time we spend on our phones, and we all have a friend that spends way too much time on their phone (grrrr shakes the fist) so I suppose what I really want to know is are we actually becoming smarter along with our phones, or are these smart phones making it easier for us to not use our brains as much?

 http://th00.deviantart.net/fs15/PRE/f/2007/012/0/9/Dum_Dum_by_Wocker.jpg
 
Looking at the stats below, also from the Three survey, and how I fit in to them I don’t think I would ever be able to go back to my Nokia 3310.
  • In total the Irish adult population spends 8 million hours online everyday (outside of working hours) - @ the weekends if im not out I would spend loads of time
  • In total the Irish adult population spends 2.2 million hours online on smartphones everyday (outside of working hours) – my whole commute home my head is in my phone
  • On average Irish adults spend 68 minutes per day on smartphones (outside work hours)
  • 38% of the adult Irish population check their smartphones before getting out of bed - I am guilty of this
  • Over half (56%) of the adult Irish population check their smartphones before breakfast
  • 31% of Irish people have sent a text they wished they hadn’t after a night out - haha I probably did fit in to this category when I was single
  • 78% of Irish adults check emails on their smartphones everyday - I wouldn't go through a day without checking emails every hour
  • 64% of Irish adults check social media on their smartphones everyday - I have deleted facebook but use twitter a lot
  • 34% of Irish adults watch videos/YouTube on their smartphones everyday – this is a favourite of the boys
  • 72% of Irish adults look up websites on their smartphones everyday – hell yes
  • 34% of Irish adults use Instant Chat on their smartphones everyday – does whats app count here

What do you think, am I reading in to this too much, is this just the 
way the world is moving?

What are your smartphone habits like?
Do you spend a gazillion hours a week on your phone?
Is your phone the first thing you have to check in the morning?
Or are you still cracking on with your old school phone?

A big thanks to Dave @ Thinkhouse for providing me with these SHOCKING stats to use!!

Let me know your thoughts, I would love to hear them!!!

4 comments:

  1. I don't have a smartphone!! I've an old Nokia that I use for texting and calling but that's it. Saying that, I'm at home all day, so I use the laptop. If I didn't have internet access on that, I would go out of my mind. I was without it for 2 weeks last year while it went for repair and I nearly went bananas, I felt like I was cut off from the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would fall apart with NO INTERNET, its unimaginable!!!!

      Delete
  2. I used to have a Blackberry, an old model that was desperate for browsing, and when himself was forever on his iPhone it would drive me mental. But about 3 minutes after I got mine I was just as bad...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma I HATE BLACKBERRYS!!! I sold mine on ebay after 3 weeks!!! bet you got a lot of 'i told you so's' off himself :)

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts!!!