Friday, 13 September 2013

Learning to knit and crochet - SBBC Day 13

I made a deal with myself at the start of the year that I was going to learn a craft, and that when I eventually have kids that I will be able to teach them something. 

I decided that learning to work with wool would be a good start so I took myself off the the wool shop and got needles, wool, and a pattern for a baby cardigan. My mam was able to teach me the basics thank god cause it was hard going. Even thought it took me a long haul to get it done, I did it, and am very proud of it, its not perfect but the next one will be better.

Crocheting was next on my list, and my god this was so much easier than learning to knit. I learned how to crochet from looking at videos on youtube, the crochet crowd is fantastic and full of easy to follow tutorials. Check them out. I made this blanket in about two weeks doing a couple of rows a night. It was so easy I couldn't believe it. My next project is to crochet some wristers for the winter. 

After becoming inspired by The Crafty Oul Biddies I picked up a hand knitting loom set on ebay for about €15 and have great plans for hats and snood being made on this. Again youtube thought me how to make this weenie hat but it was good to learn the technique on a smaller scale.

If you find yourself saying 'God I'd love to give that a go', then why don't you, go on give it a shot!!

Any other crafts you can suggest for me to give a go?

2 comments:

  1. Cross Stitch! I've been doing it for over 15 years and it's so handy for presents or cards, I haven't bought a card in years. I keep meaning to take up knitting again, I must buy some needles! Crochet baffles me, may have a look into that as well. You did a stellar job on the cardi, blanket & hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can knit but I just can't wrap my head around crochet, even though I'm told it's easier to do than knitting!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!!!