Monday, 3 February 2014

Fit Feb 03.02.14

So my last post back on Jan 10th I had just joined a crossfit style gym. I have just finished my first four weeks and can say that I am 100% addicted. I had originally planned on just doing two nights a week because of hockey and other commitments but two weeks in and I had already upped it to three nights. I don't know what it is but I just feel so motivated when I am over there and even though it is sooooo sooooo tough, I keep telling myself I will feel great in an hour so suck it up, and I always do. If you are looking for a new challenge and are in the Kildare area be sure to have a nosey The Peformance and Fitness Academy

Hockey is still going great too btw, and as I have said over and over again, if you are thinking about joining a team sport, just do it. Seriously you will not regret it. 

As I work in the sport sector, my brain is always ticking away thinking of  how to get people involved in different types of physical activity, and this year I feel more passionate about it than ever before. I have trouble understanding how people simply sit back and let themselves become so uninterested and uninvolved in their own health. I in no way mean this in a condescending way, it really does baffle me.

I was lucky to grow up in an active family, GAA football was pretty much religion in our house. We cycled, we ran, we climbed trees, we fell out of trees, I danced, my brother not so much, and we walked everywhere, our dog used to even take himself for walks! I know that some people will be reading this thinking well that's all good an well if you have the money to do these things, but heres the thing, we didn't have the money, and you do not need money to be physically active so please don't use that as an excuse cause it really is a shit one. Ditch the lift in work, park a bit further away from the office in the morning, walk to the shop instead of driving. You do not need to be sporty to be active. 

Operation Transformation and Irelands Fittest Family have really seemed to capture the imaginations of people across Ireland this year. We have realised how sedentary we have become as a nation. There are so may walking/running groups popping up around the place, I have seen so many between Naas and Newbridge alone. If you are looking for a bit of motivation why not locate a walking group through the OT facebook page or twitter and take those first few steps toward becoming active. If you don't fancy going out with a group of strangers get your family and friends involved, round up people in work. There are ways around everything, you just have to be willing.


Inspirational words and motivational quotes

The family unit is particularly important in terms of ensuring kids are active, don't assume that one hour of PE they get a week is enough, cause it simply isn't. Find something fun to do with your kids such as going to the park at the weekends, walking the dog together, going for bike rides, play hurling in the back garden. Be proactive in your children's health by being involved in your own health. No one ever regretted getting themselves and their families healthy and active. 

In work we have recently set up whats called the 7x30 club. Its essentially an excel spreadsheet that we can record our physical activity on, based on the guidelines that we should be getting at least 30 minutes a day of physical activity. Anyone who wanted to get involved simply records their activity and time. At the end of the week you can see the total time you have been physically active. Its such a simple but effective idea. Tracking your activity gives you a real perspective as to if you are doing enough or not enough.

Basically what I am saying at the end of this long post, is if you are sitting at home wondering what you can do to get yourself healthier and fitter, get up and go for a walk and brainstorm out in the fresh air. 'but its raining out' is another crappy excuse, put your rain jacket on, a bit of water never hurt anyone. 

Its your life, its your health, don't waste it. We really do only get one go at this life, and I can 100% guarantee you will NOT regret getting physically active this year. 

Có 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!!!