Monday, 3 February 2014

Linking my food habits to my acne issues.

I have never really been one for putting on weight, I've probably been the same weight since I was 19, so I've never really concerned myself with what I eat and how it effects my body.

Well at 27 (28 in a few days) years of age I have come to the harsh realization that I know f all about food and nutrition. Don't get me wrong I would always of eaten well enough, even in college I was never one for noodles, I suppose the fact that I like cooking helps, but christ am I a fiend for sweets like haribo, skittles, bickies, give me any shite food with e numbers and I'll eat it.

Sometime before christmas after reading Caroline Hirons blog I started to link my acne issues to my food habits, the bad ones that is. For the first time in my adult life I have finally accepted that no matter what product I use, if I don't decrease my refined sugar and dairy intake and dramatically increase my water intake, my skin is never going to look better. 

Since then I have pretty much cut out dairy, as I mentioned before if I have a drop of milk in tea I am not going to crucify myself over it but I have stopped drinking milk in cereal, pints of milk with lunch and dinner, yogurts are no longer part of daily life, and I am not putting half a block of cheese on everything I eat. Don't get me wrong this is not an easy thing to do, the cheese cravings I am having are out of this world but I figure its for the greater good and I would rather have the clear skin. 

"You are what you eat!"

However hard the dairy is to give up, the sugar is a complete bitch. I really am not exaggerating when I say I could easily eat a bag of haribo a night, and any one who knows me well enough will back me up on that. Since Christmas I have cut down on the eating shite. I no longer grab five bags of haribo at the que in pennys, I no longer dream of skittles and cans of coke. To help counter the sugar cravings I have been taking magnesium for the past 2 months. I have been told that when you crave something it is usually because the body is deficient of something, and a lot of the time that is magnesium. Whether it is just in my head or not, this is defo working. I am no longer sitting at my desk everyday at three o'clock with the shakes.  Again having my head right is so important, I know cutting all this shite out will make me feel and look better so I am willing to stop. 

Another thing I have cut out purely for 'feel good' reasons is gluten. It really wasn't that hard tbh. I don't eat bread anymore, and if I have a craving for bread, there are some nice gluten free ones in Lidl. Gluten free pasta is grand (not amazing) but grand! I have discovered fantastic dark choc brownies that I can make with gluten free flour, although the do contain some butter so not dairy free I'm afraid. Google is your best friend when it comes to finding alternatives for your fave eats. 

If I have one of those dreaded sugar cravings I will have a Nakd bar which are dairy, gluten and wheat free, or one of my home made paleo bars. Instead of having toast in the morning I have rice cakes with peanut butter and banana (this is simply amazing), and the latest 'nice' thing to have in our house is a dairy free shake made from Nobo icecream, a banana, almond milk and peanut butter blended together!! AMAZEBALLS!! I have been flashing pics all over my instagram if you wanna have a nose by the way @coco_oscarwells 

Hand on heart I can notice the difference in my skin, and the difference in my energy levels since changing my eating habits. Preparation is key. Plan out your meals and snacks so that you are not caught short. Every sunday I make a list of what I will eat for the week from this make my shopping list. I try make my 'treats' at the weekend so they are on hand during the week so I've no excuses.

I know I still have so so much to learn and I have a lot more to share with you which I will go in to in my next blog post but for now I urge you to try some Nakd bars, some homemade paleo bars, and some Nobo dairy free icecream. You can thank me later!! ;)

Có x

4 comments:

  1. I need to sort out my diet in a bad way.. I hover around the same weight/shape (I don't really weigh myself) but I eat crap.. Since coming back after Christmas I have lost all interest in food & was just eating pasta twice a day, with loads of junk, a bag of M&Ms or packet of cookies.. I've been in absolute bits the last few days, my head is splitting, & I know it's from not eating properly! Once I get home I need to get into a proper routine & ditch junk! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post, I'm finally sorting our my diet now I'm pregnant and like you, adored my sugar. It's been hard to give up but once you cut it out completely (even if you give yourself a treat once a week) it's actually great. No more heart palpitations and feeling shitty after a sugar high!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair play, I say I'd struggle to give up cheese and sugar! But I do need to cut down on sugar, I have such a sweet tooth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . . . . Dermatologia

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!!!