Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Eating Clean - Some Food Ideas

I spoke here about linking my food habits to my acne issues and since then I have been making a very conscious effort to ‘eat clean’.

I know a lot of people really struggle with ideas of what to eat instead of what they have been eating for the last 100 years (slight exaggeration) so I thought it might be useful to give you a few suggestions. 
(FYI - I am by no means an expert and I’m not trying to be)

Breakfast:
Banana and blueberry pancake – 1 egg, handful of chopped up blueberries, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of nut butter, 1 banana. Mix altogether and cook on a pan with coconut oil. This can be a bit tricky to flip sometimes, so if it falls apart in the pan don’t worry, will still taste yum!

Porridge – I eat gluten free oats, use soya milk, and top up with blueberries or raspberries and some cinnamon.

Poached eggs – you can get those pans that are specifically for poaching, just grease up the little trays with a bit of butter and leave them cook for about ten mins. Will keep you full for a few hours!

Smoothie – i throw in a banana, strawberries, blueberries, a spoon of peanut butter and some dairy free ice cream (check out Nobó http://www.nobo.ie/ )and coconut mil k. Really quick and handy and if you are rushing out the door you can take it in the car with you.

Sausages – there are gluten free options available with a high pork content (get the highest you can).
Bacon/Rashers – same applies here, get the highest meat content you can.


Snacks / 11’s:
Rice cakes (unsalted) with peanut butter and banana.
Apples sliced with peanut butter and cinnamon.
Nuts - make sure they are good quality and unsalted.
Fruit – berries are your friends, top up with mixed nuts and real greek yogurt.

Lunch/Dinner:
Preparation is key here, if you don’t plan your lunches you WILL end up eating shite.
The most convenient way of doing lunch is doubling up on your dinners.
I tend to make the following during the week as its easy, quick and tastes good:

Red Thai Curry (link here)

Fajita Mix – diced chicken, peppers, onions and mushrooms. Marinate with a teaspoon of cumin, tsp of chilli powder, tsp Worchester sauce, salt and pepper, and the juice from half a lime. If you prep this the night before you can cook it fresh in the morning if you have the time. I eat mine with some jasmine rice.  I tend to make some guacamole also to have with this.

Marinated chicken breasts – one of the easiest and nicest marinates I have had is lemon juice, oregano and thyme. Leave for as long as possible to marinate then either grill or oven bake the chicken. Team up with some cooked veggies of a salad.

Spaghetti bol – really easy to make from scratch with tomatoes, and various spices. Keeps really well and is really filling for lunch. Eat wholegrain pasta or else have sweet potato mash or fries instead of pasta altogether.

Marinated Pork Chops – soy sauce and honey is a good marinate, or any mixed spices either. Again i tend to marinate over night and cook fresh in the morning if I have the time. I will have with some salad or cooked veg.


Hope this was helpful for some of you out there, and be sure to follow me on instagram where I tend to share my food pics!! 


If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I bought KeenWaHhhh (Quinoa) today and mixed some into our rice for dinner, Kids and OH didn't realise it. Win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE a good poached egg, can't be beaten sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!!!